Saturday, March 20, 2010

New and Improved?

So Abby took scissors to her hair. Those of you who really know me know that while you are probably laughing right now.. this is no laughing matter.

It happened last saturday morning while I was shooting a wedding up in SLC. Scott fell asleep on the couch just after I left and he thought that Abby was playing nicely in her room (clue #1). He would call her name occasionally and she would come out and assure him she was just fine (clue #2). Scott noticed the hair on the floor through out the day but thought that my sister had just decided to give herself a haircut and leave the hair all over the floor(clue #3)... He also wondered why on earth she would leave the scissors on the floor (clue #4). Abby was mentioning throughout the day that she had SHORT hair with the emphasis on the SHORT (clue #5). Scott gave her a bath four hours later... nothing. It wasn't until he was blow drying Abby's hair, 20 minutes before I got home, and 5 hours after it actually happened that Scott noticed that half of Abby's hair was missing!

I was coming over the point of the mountain in a blizzard when he called me. I told him the roads were crazy and I was trying to concentrate. He decided not to tell me then...

He met me out at the car in the garage. He was looking at me funny. I asked him what was wrong. He spilled the news.. "abby cut her hair" . I asked him how bad it was. He proceeded to try and tell me the story. I cut him off and again asked him how bad it was. He told me that it was fixable. I am picturing a chunk of hair.

When I saw it I was reminded of the first car accident I had.
3 months after I got my license, 3 days after my parents had purchased a brand new car for me to drive. I crashed it into the wall at church when I was going into seminary. Never even pushed the brake... I just happened to have my moms cell with me, I called her and told her, she asked me how bad it was and I told her the front end was smashed a little but that it wasn't that bad. My parents came right away and I will never forget my mom's response.. I will never forget the way she walked around the car with her hands on her forehead saying "oh my gosh" over and over and over again. 8,000 dollars later.. I think it was more than a little smashed. ( I had been hit by the airbag and was terrified okay!

So I walked in and saw abby. I sat on the floor of my living room hands in my face and cried... A lot . I handled it so bad. I was mad at scott and yelled at him for letting her alone long enough to do such a thing. And I called Amy at cookie cutters to see if she could fix it.. still crying.

We brought her in almost immediately. It was bad but not as bad as they have seen. Luckily she cut her bangs a good length. And the side that she went really high on is on the side that I put a clip in anyway. We got very lucky! Abby actually did a really good job cutting her own hair.

Amy did a great job fixing my little girl (she always cuts Abby's hair and knows this was big deal)Next part is hard to admit. I have to say I actually quite like Abby with bangs. It looks very hip... I have actually considered keeping them. Abby however, does not like them. She wants her old bangs back. I know that this could have happened when I was at home. Abby is four and we don't watch her every second anymore. I feel bad for blaming Scott. Really I am grateful that this happened when he was around, not me. Love you babe!

It actually took the rest of the day for me to get the whole story. I guess its a good thing that this is probably that maddest I have ever been at my husband and our biggest "fight" . I still cannot believe that it took him five hours to notice! He even talked to my brother about my sister cutting her hair in the bathroom...

The scissors are now behind the dryer..I was trying to hide them and they fell. oops!
Before the fix:





After the fix:















4 comments:

Whitney Bennett said...

OMG MARIA! I saw the pictures come through my FB wall and I didn't even recognize her! It wasn't until I looked at it closely that I said, "THAT'S ABBY!" Then I read the description under the FB album and hurried over to the blog. I can only imagine what it was like for you when you walked in. You did a great job with the details of the story...I had a clear movie going on in my head of exactly how it was going down. Hahaha. I'm so sorry! You are right, I was laughing so hard, Allen and I. But at the same time I felt so bad for both you and Scott. I would have died if the same thing happened to me. I don't think you took it bad at all. What mom wouldn't freak out at seeing that her daughter cut her own hair? You are a trooper. I bet Scott was in the dog house! Hahaha. She is still a cutie no matter how her hair looks. She still looks amazing! :)

kellibelli said...

So sorry...I have so much to comment on.
1) the seminary story...I took out a bush and part of a tree while going into the seminary parking lot...no airbags though....thought that was a funny story
2) the first picture I actually thought was not too bad
3) the 3rd picture made me realize "the seriousness" of this situation....
4th) love the new look...your girl did a great job....
5th) love the leggings and green outfit she has on too model her new look...what a babe!

Unknown said...

Oh Maria, I sooo feel your pain on this one! Kaitlin cut her own hair while playing at her cousins house, and unfortunately it was not as easy a fix as Abby's hair. She literally cut all the hair off one side of her head! I actually went out and got her perfectly matched extensions and made her wear them for months! I honestly cannot recall a time in my life that I was so mad or full out bawled so much! It does seem like such a silly thing to anyone I tell the story to now, but it was seriously so horrible at the time! So I feel you, truly...and you did get lucky with Abby, her new haircut is pretty dang cute!

Eric and Hayley said...

Oh I loved this post - looking back you have to admit it is pretty funny. The best part is that Scott did not notice until so late. LOL. The fix turned out great.