We had such an amazing experience once again at Shiners hospital! The surgery was a success. They were able to stop the growth in the big toe, do some de-bulking underneath and take out the bone that was growing back from the first amputation. Abby handled everything perfectly. She was eating like a horse within hours of waking up and was loving the all you can eat ice cream, popsicles, and jello. Dr Carroll (her surgeon) said that she woke up so sweet, most people wake up mean... the dialogue went something like this....
(abby sits straight up in bed after waking up from anesthesia)
Dr Carroll: "Abby where are you going?"
Abby: "I don't know"
Dr Carroll: " Well how are you?"
Abby: "I am fine, how are you?:
Dr Carroll said it was the sweetest thing ever. This totally doesn't surprise me because my daughter adores her surgeon. And Dr Carroll totally loves her. They have the cutest little relationship. She even made abby a custom cast with hand cut hearts... by Dr. Carroll herself.
Abby had everyone in the hospital Charmed by her whit and whimsy. She pretty much had them all eating out of her hand. I just loved watching her interact, tell stories, and trust those who were taking care of her.
Before the surgery they had a child psychologist (Caroline) come and walk her through the whole surgery. They brought a doll in and Abby got to be the doctor and put a real cast on a doll. Caroline literally sat on the floor and talked with abby for about an hour and half. It was great. I know that is a large part of the reason abby did so well.
They gave her versaid (spelling?) and she got a little loopy, it was funny/sad to see my little girl like that. She was being so goofy. But I am glad because I don't think she remembers anything about being scared or nervous.
When they went to take her back it was so hard for me at first. I was holding her and I was worried. It is seriously the one of the worst feelings in the world. We were in a room with about 8 doctors and nurses. They asked us if we had any questions and then told me it was time to go back. The nurse went to go take her and Dr. Carroll said "nope, I am taking this one back, she is all mine." I am not kidding you, I love this woman, watching this amazing surgeon hold my baby in her arms I was totally put at ease. It was so emotional, I just was amazed at how much I trusted her with my little girl. I went to grab my camera but of course my flash wasn't on so they are totally blurry, and totally priceless. I love love love them!
The surgery all together was almost three hours. I was so happy when I got to see her and just like when she was a baby during her first surgery she had a smile on her face. And just like her mama she was complaining about her iv. It was pretty much the only thing she has complained about the whole time.
We had tonz of visitors at the hospital. Scotts mom and dad were there, my sister, her boyfriend AJ, my sister-in-law Jenny came, and of course Allen, Whitney and Baby Riley came. For sure more visitors than this hospital is used to since most people are from out of town. She was spoiled with gifts and with Flowers. I know she loved the attention and was definitely feeling the love.
As nice as our stay was Abby was anxious to get home and especially to get the IV out so we were so glad when they let us leave the next morning. Dr Carroll brought abby a card from her daughter who is just a little older than abby, it was so sweet, and then we were on our way. We had more visitors once we got home and then rest is history. She can't walk for a few more days, 10 days total and then she will have the cast on for an additional 3 weeks, but she can walk with a special boot. She gets around pretty good, we lift her or she crawls. Overall she has an amazing attitude and continues to be such an example to me of strength.
I love my little girl more than words can describe. I hate that she has this trial in her life, but I love the person it has made her to be. She is truly special, truly amazing, and truly perfect. Good job abby!
Ps. my pictures of this whole thing are so bad because it was soooo dark in her room! Sorry!















11 comments:
hey no pictures of me? I was there most the time I promise. Just kidding. My little girl is a champ. I dont know any other little kid that would haven taken it like she did. Love you little girl.
You are a trouper Abby! We love you so much! Love the cast...prettiest cast I've ever seen!
Abby's such a brave little girl! Love you Abby!
I am so glad it all went so smoothly and that Abby is doing well. You are all so brave!
I am so happy to hear everything went well and Abby is doing great. And I love her cast it is too cute!
That is such a sweet post Maria. I got a little teary-eyed reading about your experience at the hospital, especially when they took Abby away. I have been in that situation with Brooklyn a few times now, and I shared some similar feelings you expressed. I'm glad things went well with Abby's surgery. She truly is a special and a very darling girl!
I absolutely LOVE the picture of Dr. Carroll sitting next to Abby on the bed...Abby was talking about seeing Dr. Carroll all morning long and we didn't know if she was going to see her before we left. Right before we left the hospital, Dr. Carroll showed up (and that is when the picture was taken)!! I think in the picture you can really see how genuinely happy Abby is to be with her Dr...we just love Dr Carroll. I'm so happy for my little girl and I love her so! Thanks to everyone who supported us and Abby!
so glad it went well.. You are such a sweet amazing mother :) she is lucky to have you. I am so glad and thankful that her drs are so wonderful.. I could not imagine that moment you had to go through :) You are strong and she is beautiful so glad all went well
I've been a lame blogger too, and a lame blog reader! I just read your blog! I'm so relieved that Abby's surgery went well!!!! It is such a blessing to have others so invested in your child. I can't imagine what life would be like without those kind of wonderful people. I miss you dearly. Sadie is sitting next to me and she saw your pictures and said "Abby!"(more like Addy) without a prompt! So she obviously misses you guys too. Love you to pieces!!!!
So glad everything went well. I bet it makes all the difference to have wonderful doctors giving you support! Abby is adorable and so happy she handled it like a champ!
What a brave little toot! And those hearts on her cast are amazing! Not too many docs would do that for ya!
I hope you guys are doing awesome!
xoxo
Shan
Post a Comment