Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Abby's appointment






I know you are all anxious to hear how it went. It actually went pretty good. At first I was freaked out because this assistant guy came in and was telling me that Abby had a pretty significant difference in the length of her legs. One that would not be so noticeable now but as an adult it would be. He was thinking it was about a 2cm difference now which would be about 2 inches as an adult! Ummmmm not okay! He was saying that they would need to eventually stunt the growth in the one leg which is a lot easier than making her other leg longer. Hello, does he know how tall I am! Abby needs all the help she can get! So I was a little stressed. And then her actual Doctor (who I adore) came in and we took her x-rays and actually measured the bone. Drum roll please..... there was a 1mm difference in her femur and a 2mm difference in her tibia!! That type of variation is completely normal, and each of us probably have them. So she said it was not a problem at all! Her pelvis is tilted because of the added mass on her one foot. Her pelvis has compensated so she doesn't walk Crooked. All very good news. Also good news, she won't need surgery this summer. But she told us to plan on next summer. She wants to do it before Kindergarten (did I really just say that already!) so that she can avoid having to deal with explaining it to her peers as much as possible. This made me very happy because I know that this would be a really hard age because she doesn't understand quite what is going on yet. Anyway, they showed us some before pictures of her foot, and it is so hard to believe that my beautiful little girl was born with such a defect. But I could not be more grateful For Dr. Carroll and her amazing talent. She has such a love and concern for Abby and her well-being I just know that she is in such good hands. Here are some of the pictures we took of Abbys foot... for those of you who aren't familiar.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I love the bum pic. So pinchable!

dede said...

Maria.. That is amazing news. Honestly it doesn't sound like the news could have been any better. I am so happy for her and you. I am so glad the apt is over and now you also know what to prepare for next summer, that is awesome. Kindergarden yikes, are we really that close.

She is adorable

kellibelli said...

I am so glad to hear the GOOD news!!! What a blessing. She really is so adorable.